Sweet Potato is very different looking in India – it has a pretty pink skin and a slight yellowish white flesh inside. They still taste sweet and melt in your mouth. If you have never tried Indian flavors on sweet potato, please give this recipe a shot. The resulting dish tastes fabulous! Spicy, sweet and full of flavor. Retain the skin for its color and nutrition and reduce the number of green chilies (or skip altogether if you don’t like spicy foods), serve warm.
Serve this as a side dish with rice and curry lunch or pair it with Chapatti/Roti, Indian flat bread. These potatoes can also be used in sandwiches and wraps.
- 3 cups of cubed sweet potato
- 4 tbsp of oil
- 1 tsp de-husked black gram
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- 3-4 green chilies
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Wash the sweet potatoes well and cut them into bite size cubes. I have left the skin on but you can also peel them.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the black gram and mustard. When it starts spluttering add the green chillis and sweet potato. Stir well for the oil to coat all the vegetables and turn down the heat.
- Sprinkle the salt and turmeric and toss for it to coat everything. Cook for 4-5 minutes in low heat. Sitr everything well once again and check if it’s soft. Do nut over cook the sweet potatoes as it’ll turn too soft anf mushy. When the outside looks slightly golden and the inside is almost cooked, turn off the heat and keep it closed. It’ll continue to cook in its own heat and be perfect when ready to serve.