These doughnuts are pure nostalgia. In a ring. With gooey topping. They might be most appropriate waking up after a day of hiking, with a rustic hand thrown mug, and loafers, and a red plaid scarf, and a firepit outside the cobweb cornered window. Yes, the imagery is vivid, but then again, so are the flavors.
S’mores Doughnuts [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tb warm water
- 1/4 tsp organic sugar
- 1 cup unbleached organic pastry flour
- 1/2 cup graham flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax meal
- 1/4 cup organic brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp nutmeg
- 5 ounces vegan chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 tb coconut oil
- Suzanne’s Ricemellow Creme
- In small bowl, combine yeast and warm water. Stir and let sit for about 3 minutes. Sprinkle 1/4 tsp sugar over mixture and mix. Let sit for another few minutes until creamy and foamy.
- In a large bowl, sift together pastry flour, graham flour, flax meal, brown sugar, and baking soda. Make a well in the center, then add margarine, water, vanilla, and nutmeg. Mix with a spoon until combined.
- Place dough in a greased bowl with a damp towel over it. Let rise for 30 minutes in a warm, dry location (I used my oven, set to 170 degrees). After 30 minutes, punch dough down. Let rise another 30 minutes.
- Roll dough out on large board, using powdered sugar to coat both sides to prevent sticking. Cut large round with a biscuit cutter, and use a smaller cutter to make the center holes. Bake for 14 minutes at 350 degrees, until outsides are just lightly browned. Let cool before frosting.
- Melt chocolate with oil in microwave safe bowl or using a double boiler.
- Dip cooled donuts in, then pipe tops with ricemellow creme.
- Garnish by sprinkling additional nutmeg over tops, if desired.