This recipe was inspired by one of my favorite vegetarian restaurants in Vancouver. After I tried their flavorful, filling salad, I knew that I wanted to create a version of my own at home. The warm sesame dressing is so satisfying, and even seems like a comfort food- surprising, for a salad! You can prepare the dressing ahead of time, and the best way to warm it up is to put it in a bowl, and submerge it in hot water. Using a pot or the microwave can cause it to ‘break’. Alternatively, if you have a Vitamix or Blendtec blender, you could heat it using that. Sesame Tofu + Broccoli Salad Dressing:
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp sambal oelek
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Set aside. Salad:
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 19 fl oz can chickpeas, drained, and rinsed
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, drained, and pressed, and cut into long blocks (learn how to make your own tofu by following this recipe)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp vegetable broth or water
- mixed greens, washed, and dried
- Prepare tofu. In a pan over medium heat, heat olive oil. Add tofu, and fry for 1-2 minutes on all four sides, until a crust has formed.
- Steam broccoli until tender.
- Warm chickpeas in a frying pan with vegetable broth over medium heat, a few minutes, until warm.
- Heat dressing up by submerging in hot water until fluid.
- Place mixed greens in large serving bowl and top with broccoli, chickpeas, tofu, and dressing. Enjoy!
For more starters, salads and side dishes check out the following: