Vegan Red Velvet? For breakfast?!
Don’t let the beets in this delicious recipe scare you away. They’re only there for coloring purposes- and the sneaky serving of veggies doesn’t hurt, either.
Topped with whipped cream, these pretty pancakes are a decadent yet all-natural start to your day.
Ingredients for the Pancakes
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 2 large beets
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or stevia to taste
- 2 heaping tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Puree the beets with the almond milk in a food processor. Mix in a large bowl with the vanilla extract and vinegar.
- In a separate bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients. Add to wet mixture, and mix until a smooth batter consistency… you may need to add milk or some flour as needed.
- Heat a skillet greased with a bit of cooking oil until a droplet of water immediately sizzles and evaporates. Using a ladle, drop some batter on the skillet and let sit until bubbles reach the surface and pop.
- Use a spatula and carefully flip the pancake and let it cook on the other side. Remove, stack, make more, and eat!
Ingredients for Walnut Whipped Cream
- Blend the ingredients in a blender until smooth and fluffy.
- Serve on the pancakes.