As a mom to a toddler, I want easy and fresh vegan recipes that are loaded with nutrition for my whole family. Enter: Spring Power Applesauce. This delightful applesauce is perfect as we come into spring. The experience of eating it is light yet powerful as the sublimely fresh flavors dance in your mouth and the nutrients power up your bod. (And, can I just say? It’s really pretty!)
Spring Power Applesauce has stellar ingredients to be sure (try to do yourself and the earth a favor by buying organic if possible). Check it out: The nourishing chia seeds give it a fun texture and top notch nutrition (essential fatty acids, protein, calcium, fiber, and a plethora of antioxidants). The sweet orange juice is loaded with vitamin C, noted for helping your body assimilate the iron from the spinach… ahem… spinach! Yes! Spinach is in this applesauce. This first-rate ingredient offers you protein, vitamins, and minerals galore. And, of course, apples. Those babies are good for filling you up with fiber and body building goodness. Finally, add the cinnamon and nutmeg for that comfort food effect that will bring you and your family back for more. Yum!
Ingredients (Yield 3 cups):
- 2 cups baby spinach, gently packed
- 3 apples, cored and chopped
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- juice from 2 oranges
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- dash ground nutmeg
- Put all of the ingredients in a food processor, fitted with the “S” blade.
- Briefly process until the ingredients resemble chunky applesauce.
- Enjoy! (Note: if you wait 10-15 minutes before serving, the chia seeds will gel with the orange juice for a brilliant texture.)