This pie is a citrus-y slice of summer. The coconut and lemon make such a lovely combination, and the macadamia crust is so suited to the cheery lemon flavor. Once you have your ingredients, it’s very easy to throw together- hopefully you have a high powered blender, but if not, try a food processor. The nuts can get expensive, but I think this kind of pie is well suited for when you want to have a few people over for dinner and show off your raw food $killz- an occasion, or celebration of sorts.
I like a thin layer of this tangy lemon filling and a thick layer of this light coconut ‘meringue’. Keep in mind that the secret ingredient here is the Irish Moss Gel, and it helps this pie set up and resemble the texture of a real lemon meringue pie. It’s quite amazing! Don’t be shy with the Irish moss- the more you add, the more gelled and solid this pie will get. And don’t worry about this pie tasting like seaweed- no one would ever guess this secret ingredient.
Raw Lemon Meringue Pie (VEGAN)
- 1 1/2 cups raw macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 1/2 cups raw shredded coconut
- 3 medjool dates, soaked briefly in warm water, just to soften
- zest of one lemon
- 1 cup Irish Moss Gel
- 1 1/4 cups lemon juice (about 7/8 lemons)
- 1/2 cup + 2 TBSP coconut syrup
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup coconut meat (usually can get this from one coconut)
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1/3 cup Irish moss gel
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup coconut syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder or seeds scraped from a vanilla bean
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- Crust: Combine all ingredients in food processor and pulse until mixture is crumbly and starts to stick together. Do not over process, as too much oil will be released from the nuts and you will end up with a nut butter. Press into a 9-inch spring form pan. Place in the freezer as you prepare the filling.
- Filling: Combine all ingredients in a high powered blender (ie. Vitamix) and blend thoroughly. Pour over crust and let set in the fridge up to a few hours. The mixture will be a solid gel when set.
- Meringue: Combine all ingredients in a high powered blender (ie. Vitamix) and blend thoroughly. Pour into a container and let set in the fridge up to several hours.
- Assembly: Top the filling with the meringue and place in the fridge again until firm. Remove from spring form pan, top with lemon slices and shredded coconut. Enjoy!