I am really loving coconut milk and frozen fruit as combination ingredients lately. If you're getting tired of it - I am sorry. But no need to fret, because summer is quickly approaching and she promises a fresh, local, always-changing variety of new produce each week at the farmers market. I am excited to be inspired every Saturday by the organic options available to make new raw food creations for myself, my family, friends, and you, of course! But for now - I must stick with frozen fruit, and coconut milk is an excellent pairing.
Raw Fruit and Coconut Ice Cream Cake with Brownie Crust [Vegan]
- 400 ml fresh raw coconut milk (or 1 can of store-bought)
- 1/4 cup raw cane sugar (or preferred sweetener, to taste)
- 1 banana
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup raw oats (or buckwheat groats for a gluten-free version)
- 2/3 cup dates
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- Whatever fresh or frozen you have or like, about 2 cups
Prepare the cake vessel
- Find a bowl that can hold about 6 cups, or use a small dome cake pan and line it with plastic wrap, tin foil or whatever. I used a dome shaped colander and plastic wrap, it worked fine. Alternatively you can just make this using a normal cake pan.
- Line the sides of the pan or bowl with your chosen fruit.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Pour into your pan or bowl and put in the freezer until solid, about 3 or 4 hours.
- Put the walnuts, oats and cacao in your food processor and pulse until they become a flour.
- Add the dates and process until it starts to stick together.
- Press onto the “top” of your ice cream cake (it will become the bottom when you flip it later).
- Put in the fridge for about an hour to let everything set.
- Then carefully flip your cake onto a plate and take off your lining – voila!
- Decorate as you wish, slice, and let thaw before eating.