Oh, baby! This pie rocks. or should I say... it RAWKS. (I know, I know. Comedic genius. I think I might go on tour.) It's pretty much all raw but I can't lie - the coconut milk I used was not. I don't mind. This pie is too delicious to care. Besides, before I went vegan I LOVED whipped cream and this vegan version hits the spot where whipped cream is missing in my life. It's actually better because it has hints of coconut.
Raw Chocolate Banana Pie with Whipped Coconut Cream
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups dates or raisins
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 peeled bananas (save one to slice)
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup agave/maple syrup
- 1/4 cup nut milk (use as little as possible)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
Coconut whipped cream
- 1 can coconut milk, put in the fridge overnight
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- 1/8 teaspoon stevia or powdered raw sugar
- To make the crust, process the nuts (in your food processor) into very small crumbs and add the dates or raisins. Process until it all sticks together. Press into a pie dish and put in the freezer.
- To make the filling, blend all the ingredients until smooth then let it set and thicken in the fridge. When it’s thick enough, spoon into the pie crust and layer with that remaining sliced banana. Set in the fridge.
- To make the coconut whipped cream, put your mixing bowl and whisk in the freezer. Take the coconut milk out of the fridge and spoon off the really thick stuff on top (full fat, baby, mmm). Put this in your mixing bowl with the stevia/sugar and vanilla seeds and whisk until it’s thick! I have a kitchen-aid so it’s really easy for me. Spread this all over your pie and let it set in the freezer or fridge for a few hours. Or… devour it right away.
AUTHOR & RECIPE DETAILS