We all love(d) the classic dessert version of carrot cake, but I'm not crazy about the processed ingredients like white sugar, refined flour, pasteurized butter and cream cheese. I decided to remake this baby with healthy whole foods! Consider it DONE.
Raw Carrot Cake With Cashew Cream Cheese Frosting [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cashew Frosting:
- 2 cups cashews, preferably soaked for a couple hours
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons liquid coconut oil
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Water, as needed
For the Cake:
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour or buckwheat flour
- 1 cup dates
- 1 cup dried pineapple (or more dates)
- 1/2 cup dried coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
To Make the Frosting:
- Blend all ingredients in your high-speed blender until smooth, adding as little water as possible. Taste and adjust as needed. Put in a bowl and set aside.
To Make the Cake:
- Cut the carrots into small chunks. Then throw all the ingredients (including the carrots) in your food processor and pulse until it’s all in really small pieces and sticks together.
- Press half the cake mix into the bottom of a 6-inch adjustable spring-form pan. Then, spread on about 1/3 of the frosting. Put it in the freezer until the layer of frosting is hard. Then press on the rest of the cake mix. Let it set in the refrigerator overnight, then frost the whole thing. Or, you can do it right away if you want. Take it out of the pan and use the remaining frosting, cover with whatever garnishes you like.