This summer salad recipe is the perfect side dish, or even main course. It can be enjoyed warm or cold, which makes it perfect for picnics and parties. Most recently, I packed this dish up, carried it in my bicycle’s basket, and enjoyed it at the beach. Much tastier, and healthier than fast food!
Use whatever veggies you have on hand- just steam them until tender, and toss them in! The quinoa is full of protein, and will keep you energized as you bike, swim, and take part in all of summer’s activities!
Creamy Balsamic Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary (approx. 1 1/2 tbsp)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- pinch of pepper
- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth and creamy.
- There will be extra dressing- use on salads, or steamed veggies, etc.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup asparagus, chopped,
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- In a saucepan, bring quinoa and water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and fluff with a fork.
- While quinoa is cooking, steam asparagus, carrots, and broccoli until tender.
- Combine quinoa, and vegetables and toss with 1/2 cup dressing. Enjoy warm or cold.