This is a great way to use up leftover pumpkin. It whips up as quickly as you can boil pasta and really captures the taste of autumn. This recipe is from Everyday Happy Herbivore by Lindsay S. Nixon and was featured in the New York Times.
Pumpkin Sage Pasta [Vegan]
- 4 oz whole-wheat pasta
- 3/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1 to 2 tbsp minced fresh sage
- 1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- pinch of dried oregano
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- vegan Parmesan for garnish (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, combine remaining ingredients together in a small saucepan and heat over low until thoroughly warm, about 5 minutes.
- Taste, adding more sage if desired plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and let sauce rest for 5 to 10 minutes, allowing the flavor to merge and sauce to thicken slightly.
- Toss cooked pasta with pumpkin sauce and taste, adding more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Garnish with vegan Parmesan if desired.