Keeping up with New Year diet resolutions can be hard. Believe me, I know: You get up one morning confident that you can subsist without your favorite treats but, by that night, you’ve already downed an entire batch of brownies.
For me, the hardest thing is always the morning after the slip-up. Gastric juices flowing and stomach growling so loud it’s scaring my cat, I fear falling into the starve-binge cycle yet again. Part of me wants to ignore my hunger, but I know I should eat something soothing, wholesome and healthy.
Something like these cookies. The combination of the bran’s cleansing fiber, the protein powder’s staying power and the ginger’s antacid properties all add up to a filling breakfast that will help you get right back on track. (It helps that they taste great too!)
Ingredients (makes 10-14 cookies):
- 1/4 c. wheat bran or oat bran for gluten-free (see note)
- 1 T. vanilla or peach protein powder
- 1 T. flaxmeal
- 1/4 t. baking SODA
- 1/4 t. baking POWDER
- 1/2 c. pureed peaches
- A few good size pinches of ginger
- Sweetener to taste (about 12-15 drops of Stevia)
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the bran, protein powder, flaxmeal, baking powder and baking soda. Add the peaches and stevia and mix well.
- Drop by spoonfuls on cookie sheet sprayed well with nonstick spray and bake for 30 minutes or until bottoms are golden-brown.
Note: Along with being gluten-free, using oat bran makes a smoother cookie but also adds more calories.