Mizuna is a Japanese green leafy vegetable, which tastes like a mild form of arugula. If unavailable, arugula will make a fine substitute.
Mizuna, Fennel, and Mulberry Salad [Vegan]
- 1 large fennel bulb, including fronds
- 1 large bunch mizuna, stems trimmed and removed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, or more to taste
- 2/3 cup dried mulberries
- Trim off the fennel root and fronds, leaving a 1-inch handle on top of the bulb. Reserve the fronds. Use a mandolin to carefully shave the fennel bulb into paper-thin slices, yielding around 6 cups. Fill a bowl with an ice bath, and place the fennel inside for about 10 minutes to crisp.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, fennel seeds, sea salt and black pepper.
- When the fennel is crisp, remove the shavings from the ice bath and drain thoroughly. Gently pat dry with towels to remove any excess moisture, and place in a large bowl along with the mizuna, parsley, and ⅓ cup mulberries. Toss to combine, add the dressing, and gently toss by hand to distribute the ingredients evenly. To serve, place in serving bowls, top with remaining mulberries and a few small sprigs of the reserved fennel fronds. Add additional black pepper if desired.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS