I love this miso gravy over cooked greens like kale, collards, turnip greens, or chard, but it’s also wonderful over mashed potatoes. For a complete meal, serve with a side of roasted or plain chickpeas.
This Recipe is :
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 ½ tsp yellow miso
- ½ tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 ½ tsp cornstarch
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 1 to 2 dashes black pepper
- In a small saucepan, whisk all ingredients together, adding a few drops of hot sauce and a dash or two of black pepper.
- Taste, adding ¼ to ½ teaspoon more miso if you want a stronger miso flavor. You can also add more hot sauce if desired.
- Turn heat to medium and once it looks like it’s about to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, stirring until it thickens slightly. It should be thicker than water or broth, but not as thick as most gravies.
- Drench cooked greens or ladle over mashed potatoes.
Any light-colored or mellow miso (such as white or red) may be substituted.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS