One of the reasons tacos are a favorite around our house is the endless possibilities of fresh veggies and toppings that can be added – olives, tomatoes, avocado, greens, caramelized onions and peppers are just a few of our must haves on taco night- making it super easy to eat the rainbow in one sitting. Spanish Pardina Lentils are called for in the recipe however any lentil would work well – canned lentils would cut your prep time in half, getting dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes.
makes 4 large tacos/burritos or 6 small
you will need:
- 1 large onion – cut in half & each half thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp coconut butter
- 1 1/2 cups cooked lentils/ (1) 15oz can
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chipotle seasoning
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp salt
- juice of 1 lime
- 4 vegan soft tortillas (I used Trader Joe’s Jalapeno)
- handful of greens
- 1 tomato sliced or cubed
- Thinly slice each onion half – in a medium pan melt coconut butter over medium heat. Add onion slices, tossing to coat. Cook onions over medium – low heat stirring occasionally for 15 minutes or until onions begin to caramelize.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauce pan add lentils through liquid smoke – simmer over medium/low heat for 10 minutes. Just prior to assembling tacos stir in salt & lime juice.
- To assemble tacos, create a base layer of greens in the tortilla, then add your tomatoes & top with lentils and caramelized onions.