This was one of those dishes that created itself based on what I had in the pantry and refrigerator. It's packed with nutrient-dense ingredients - use your favorite combination of greens and vegetables - and has no added oil and no gluten (if you use a GF pasta). And just like that you've got a delicious, cheesy, guilt-free dinner on your hands.
Kale-Basil Pesto Pasta with Apple-Sage Sausage
- 4 cups loosely packed kale
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp. liquid aminos
- 1 cup walnuts
- 4 tbsp. vegetable broth or water
- 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan-style grated cheese (such as Go Veggie or Parmela)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb. gluten-free or whole wheat pasta
- 2 vegan apple-sage seitan sausages (homemade, or Field Roast), sliced into rounds
- 1/2 cup Kalamata or other black olive, sliced
- 1 cup yellow cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 cup red cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 15 oz. can black soy beans (or black beans)
- 1 15 oz. can artichoke hearts, quartered
- 2 tbsp. capers, drained
- Bring a large pot of water to boil while you prepare the ingredients for the pasta dish. Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Add all of the pesto ingredients (kale through salt and pepper) in a food processor and process until smooth. Add more broth or water if needed. Set aside.
- Lightly brown the rounds of seitan sausage in a small skillet over medium heat. In a large bowl, add the seitan sausage and remaining ingredients (Kalamata olives through capers). When the pasta has been cooked and drained, add it to the bowl along with the pesto and stir gently but thoroughly. Serve with additional vegan Parmesan-style cheese.