No need to pinch yourself, because you’re not dreaming.
It is possible to create a deliciously decadent and healthy fudgesicle.
How did I do it? By incorporating plenty of healthy fats along with a wide array of vitamins and minerals.
Before you begin to worry about the fat part – let me reassure you that more than half of the fat in avocados is in the form of oleic acid, which is a heart-healthy monounsaturated fat. Avocados are also a rich source of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and fibre.
So how else do these treats earn brownie points?
- Coconuts contain antiviral and antibacterial properties, and they are one of the few sources of lauric acid – an especially nourishing fat that’s also found in breast milk.
- Raw cacao powder is chock full of antioxidants and magnesium, the mineral that help relax our nerves and muscles and strengthens our bones.
- And did you know that maple syrup has tons of good stuff like potassium, iron, zinc and calcium?
I’m not saying you should scarf one of these every day. They’re still a treat, after all. But if I’m going to indulge, I love it when my desserts are as nutrient-dense as possible.
These fudgesicles are luxurious, sweet and smooth. I encourage you to play around with the recipe – feel free to leave out an avocado, or use more or less coconut milk, or add a different amount of cacao or maple syrup. Experiment until you find the consistency and flavour that appeals to you.
And if you don’t have popsicle molds (I like using ones that are free of BPA, a toxin that disrupts our endocrine system), just freeze the mixture in one big container and scoop it out like ice cream.
gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, vegetarian, soy-free, egg-free
- 2 small ripe avocados
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder, or cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 cup water, or more as needed to blend
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Place everything into a blender and blend until smooth. You may need additional water, depending on how thick you want your fudgesicles to be.
- Taste, and adjust ingredients (maple syrup, cacao, etc) if necessary.
- Pour into popsicle molds and freeze until solid.