These colorful and versatile savory treats add a splash of color and depth of flavor to any meal, whether served as an appetizer, the main course or atop an amazing salad. The rich mixture of sundried tomatoes and fresh basil is an unbeatable combination.
- 3 to 4 medium sized golden beets
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked 2-4 hours
- 1 cup sundried tomatoes, soaked 4-6 hours
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves or 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- ½ tablespoon salt
- ½ tablespoon pepper
- Peel beets and slice horizontally to 1/10 of an inch thickness with a mandolin; set aside.
- Process remaining ingredients in a food processor until for 30-45 seconds or thoroughly combined.
- Scoop a tablespoon of filling in the middle of a beet slice. Now add another slice on top of similar size. Firmly, but with care, press down on the center, spreading the filling.
- Pinch the beets with thumb and forefinger, going around the ravioli in a circular motion.
- Repeat as necessary until no filling remains.
- Dehydrate for 5 hours at 110⁰, checking every 60 minutes to pinch the edges together as needed.