Sweet goji berries and hardy teff flour pair perfectly in these gluten-free, vegan muffins. They also include organic, unsweetened applesauce and just a tablespoon of agave nectar for natural sweetness without unrefined sugar. Teff and quinoa flours are naturally high in protein and fiber, and give these muffins a nutty, satisfying flavor.
- 1½c unsweetened applesauce
- 1T agave nectar
- 1T chia seeds mixed with 3T water
- 1/3c olive oil
- 3T dried currants
- 1/4c dried goji berries
- Preheat oven to 350° and lightly grease 12-muffin tin.
- Stir together chia seeds and water in a small bowl. Allow to sit for 10-15 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes. The seeds and water will form a thick gel.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir in goji berries and currants.
- Combine wet ingredients in a medium bowl; add chia mixture when thick.
- Add wet ingredients to dry.
- Spoon batter into oiled muffin tins.
- Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool muffins in tin for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
Makes 12 regular-sized muffins
Nutrition Information (per muffin):
Calories – 142
Fat – 7g
Carbohydrates – 18g
Fiber – 2.3g
Protein – 2.5g