I’ve said it before but I’ll say it again- people love mixing and meshing different flavors and textures. These waffles are the lovechild of breakfast and dessert, but they’re not terribly unhealthy. I would certainly describe them as fudgy- almost denser than a normal waffle, from that wonderful cocoa and coffee undertones. They’re an excuse to get out of bed, for sure. It’s a recipe for a “no-snooze-button” type of morning.
Fudgy Brownie Waffles
(makes 12 small waffles, or 3 Belgium waffles)
- 1 cup organic all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar (or substitute maple sugar)
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 cup almond milk (or substitute any nut milk)
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ounces vegan chocolate, coarsely chopped
Combine dry ingredients in small metal bowl and whisk until combined. In separate bowl, mix wet ingredients on medium speed with electric mixer until combined and smooth. Stir half of wet ingredients into dry, stirring until just combined. Repeat with the rest of the wet mixture.
Preheat waffle iron. Cook waffles for about 5-6 minutes, until tops form light crust and insides are still chewy. Serve immediately for best taste and texture.
Below are some more of our favorite waffles!