For game nights or house parties, this salsa will help kick up your party a notch. The smoky taste of charred corn with fresh green tomatoes and a hint of basil will send your taste buds flying.
Fresh Green Tomato, Charred Corn, and Basil Salsa [Vegan]
- 2 ears fresh corn, husks and silks completely removed
- olive oil
- 1 medium-large green tomato, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 13 to 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed, cored, seeded, and very finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 generous tablespoons minced basil
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat broiler.
- Rub the corn lightly with olive oil and place the pan on the top oven rack.
- Watching carefully–though this will take quite a few minutes–char the corn lightly, turning it one or two times. (I even shut the oven door, despite using the broiler, to reduce the cooking time.)
- Remove the corn from the oven, cool, and cut the kernels off the cob into a medium bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients, toss lightly to combine, and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
- Serve with chips, pita wedges, as a bruschetta topping, or spooned over pan-sauteed or grilled mini tofu or seitan squares.
In the summer since corn is so very sweet, you might want to add a little additional salt, balsamic vinegar, or even a little squirt of lemon juice to balance the flavors.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS