Patriotic Cupcakes [Vegan]
For the Easy Vanilla Cake:
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup ground raw cashews or almonds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam (optional)
For the Hazelnut Cream Frosting:
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, softened
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 tablespoons salt
- 1–2 tablespoons vegan creamer
For the Garnish:
- Raspberries and blueberries
To Make the Easy Vegan Vanilla Cake:
- Heat your oven to 350°F and place cupcake liners in muffin pans.
- Use either a food processor or coffee grinder to pulse the raw cashews into a course flour. Be careful not to blend it too long or it will turn into a paste. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, ground cashews, baking soda, baking powder, corn starch and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the margarine, oil and sugar and mix on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add remaining wet ingredients and mix again until well combined.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and use your mixer on medium speed until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake liners. If you’d like to try the raspberry filling, drop a teaspoon of jam onto the top of each cupcake before baking.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes until a piece of uncooked spaghetti or a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean (no batter on it). That’s your sign that the cupcakes are ready to come out of the oven.
To Make the Hazelnut Cream Frosting:
- In a medium bowl beat butter at medium-high speed until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar and salt and continue beating until well combined. Scrape any bits of the mixture that might be trying to escape from the bowl into the rest of the mixture and continue mixing another 15 – 20 seconds.
- Add the Hazelnut Flavored creamer and continue with your mixer until the frosting is light and fluffy. This might take several minutes.
- If you’re feeling bored, hold the mixer with one hand, and do some squats or plies to increase your leg strength. Hold those for several seconds at time. Then stop the mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl, begin mixing again and switch to the other side.
For the Fourth of July Cupcake Assembly:
- After the cupcakes have cooled, cover them with the Hazelnut Cream Frosting.
- Place 3 fresh raspberries and blueberries on the top of each cupcake. The combination of colors and flavors are perfect.