With its bounty of farm market fresh root vegetables, this delicious soup is a great choice for an easy autumn weekend meal. If you come across additional veggies at your farm market, feel free to substitute your favorites. Because it makes a large amount, this soup is great to feed a crowd for a festive fall get-together. Or, if you are cooking for your family for the week, you’ll get a few lunches and/or dinners out of this recipe. Crusty whole-grain bread or organic sour dough rolls make the perfect accompaniment to this robust and hearty soup!
Easy Root Vegetable Soup
- 64 ounces vegetable broth
- 2 cups water, plus more as needed
- 5 yukon gold or russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 8 ounces white button or crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 2 inch slices
- 1 small bunch celery, with tops, sliced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons organic tamari, to taste
- 2 teaspoons italian-style seasoning
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Freshly ground pepper
- Put all ingredients into a large soup pot. Add enough water to cover vegetables.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 50 minutes.