A cocktail and a dessert all in one! What’s not to love? This is not an “alternative” ice cream. It just happens to be vegan and refined sugar free, however those picky eaters will never know unless you tell them. The healthy fat of the coconut milk gives this dairy free ice cream an amazingly creamy, and rich texture. And the bit of alcohol left over from soaking the cherries keeps it a nice soft serve so it is always easy to scoop.
Drunken Cherry Coconut Ice Cream
This Recipe is :
- 2 cups cherries, pitted (if you don’t have a cherry pitter, hammer a clean nail into a piece of wood and push the cherry over the top of the nail pushing the pit out)
- spiced rum
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup almond milk (or other milk of choice, you can also use more coconut milk)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 1/4 cup agave (or other liquid sweetener or choice)
- 3.5 ounces of dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Place one cup of the cherries in a small bowl and pour in enough spiced rum to cover the cherries. Soak for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- Drain the cherries through a strainer. (I reserved the rum for a cherry infused cocktail!)
- Roughly chop the remaining 1 cup of cherries.
- Place the soaked cherries, coconut milk, almond milk, arrowroot, and agave in a blender and blend until combined.
- Mix in the chopped cherries, dark chocolate and pecans.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufactures instructions.
- If you do not have an ice cream maker, place in the freezer and stir vigorously about every hour for 6 hours.