Ireland meets Mexico? They do in these quesadillas stuffed with colcannon, a classic Irish mixture of mashed potatoes and cooked greens.
Made with spinach tortillas and served with a green sauce, these tasty quesadillas are a fun and different way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. They can be assembled in just minutes, if you plan ahead by making extra baked or mashed potatoes for dinner the night before. (If there was ever a reason to make extra potatoes, this is it.) If you don’t have cooked potatoes on hand, you can quickly microwave some, and then simply mash them with a potato masher, adding salt and pepper to taste. The same goes for the greens. Cook up your favorite leafy green vegetable (I used spinach here, but kale or oth er dark green would be terrific, too). Be sure your cooked greens are well drained and blotted or squeezed dry so that no liquid seeps into the potatoes when you combine them.
These quesadillas are delicious on their own, or they can be served with a sauce. To keep with the green (and global) theme, I served mine with a spicy mint chutney, but a zesty picante sauce would also work well, or you could just put out a bottle of green Tabasco if you want to add a little flavor punch.
- 2 cups cooked mashed potatoes
- 3/4 cup tightly-packed cooked and well drained spinach, kale, cabbage or chard, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced scallions
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 large spinach (or whole grain) tortillas
- Choice of green sauce: mint chutney; picante sauce; green Tabasco sauce
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes, spinach, scallions, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well to combine. Heat the mixture in a skillet on top of the stove or in the microwave.
- Divide the mixture evenly over half of each of the tortillas. Fold the tortillas over and press down lightly.
- Place 1 or 2 of the quesadillas in a large non-stick skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Cook until lightly browned on both sides, turning once. Keep warm while you cook the remaining quesadillas in the same way. Cut the quesadillas into wedges and serve with desired sauce.