This recipe adds a captivating tropical flavor to the basic blondie with the addition of shaved coconut and crushed macadamia nuts. Serve with coconut ice cream for the ultimate island inspired treat!
Coconut Macadamia Blondie Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2/3 cup melted vegan margarine
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp flaxseed meal mixed with 4 tbsp water and allowed to rest
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 cups sweet white sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1 cup dried coconut flakes (unsweetened)
- 3/4 cup crushed macadamia nuts (easy to “crush” by pulsing in food processor just until crumbly)
- Preheat oven to 350 ºF, and very lightly grease and (sorghum) flour a standard sized pie pan or 9 x 9 inch brownie pan.
- In large mixing bowl, stir together melted margarine, sugars, prepared flaxseed meal and sea salt.
- In separate smaller bowl, combine baking powder, xanthan gum, sorghum flour and tapioca starch.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the sugar mixture and stir just until well mixed. Spread batter into prepared pie dish or brownie pan and place into oven with cookie sheet rested on the rack underneath (this recipe gets the occasional bubble during cooking and is best to play it safe–for the love of your oven!).
- Bake in preheated oven for 40-45 minutes. Let cool completely and then place into fridge to chill. Slice up and serve!