A "chia fresca" is a Mexican beverage, which classically uses lemon or citrus juice in combination with plant-based powerhouse chia to make a refreshing drink. Chia seeds - a superfood known primarily for a miraculously high Omega 3 content - absorb about 9 times their weight when soaked in water, forming a miniature balls that are playful on the tongue. Combining the idea of a chia fresca with another Mexican specialty, tequila, is a true food destiny, and a deliciously fun new way to make a margarita (and add a little nutrition). For a virgin variation, use a citrus kombucha blend in place of the alcohol.
This Recipe is :
- 2 oz water
- 1 tsp Chia Seeds
- 2 oz tequila
- 1 oz triple sec
- 1½ oz freshly-squeezed lime juice
- 1 Tbsp palm sugar (also called coconut sugar)
- stevia, to taste (if desired)
- In a small glass, mix together the water and chia seeds. Set aside for 20 minutes or longer to form a gel. You may want to make a larger batch of this step if you suspect that more than one margarita will be needed, so that the readied chia is on hand.
- In a shaker filled with plenty of ice, add all the ingredients, except the soaked chia gel, and shake well.
- Strain into a large glass, add the chia gel, and stir until combined.
- Add stevia if a sweeter drink is desired.
- Transfer to a serving glass.
Extra palm sugar or agave nectar may be used in place of the stevia.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS