It's the simplest of ingredients with such great flavor, sweet carrots with the irreplaceable flavor of miso and ginger. Yes, there are a lot of carrots involved but carrots are really on the cheap. I can pick up a 5 lb bag of organic carrots for under $5 making this a very inexpensive soup to prepare (double the recipe and store in the freezer for later if you like). The miso is a bit more at around $8-9 a tub but will last up to a year + in the fridge. The miso compliments this soup beautifully making it a classic favorite. I love miso for its flavor and health benefits. The silken tofu is soft and silky blending in almost seamlessly with each bite and the cayenne adds a bit of warmth. So delicious! Feel free to omit the tofu if you’re not a fan. And if you are a fan, feel free to add more for extra protein.
Carrot Miso Soup
This Recipe is :
- 2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 – 2 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 4 cups water or vegetable broth (I used water)
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) white miso paste
- 8 oz. organic silken tofu, sliced thin and at room tempature
- cayenne pepper as garnish, to taste
- chives, chopped OR scallions, thinly sliced
- In a large stock pot or saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and garlic, saute until onion is translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add liquids and ginger.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender.
- Let soup cool a bit.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender, food processor or in regular blender. You may have to puree the latter two methods in batches.
- In small bowl, add 1/4 cup miso and 1/2 cup of soup.
- Whisk together until combined, add back into the pot of soup and stir to mix. Add a bit more water as needed.
- Taste for seasoning adding salt, especially if you didn’t use veggie stock you may like to add salt. Add pepper, more miso or grated ginger to taste.
- Slice your tofu, ladle your soup into serving bowls, top with tofu, a sprinkle of cayenne and a nice bunch of chives or scallions.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
AUTHOR & RECIPE DETAILS