This homemade Vegan Butterscotch Sauce recipe is simple to make and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. I love to drizzle it over ice cream and fruit, swirl it into cupcake batter and mix it into frosting. This sauce can also be substituted for butterscotch chips in recipes for cakes, cookies, dessert bars and more.
Servesyields 3/4 cup sauce
- 1/4 cup vegan butter substitute (I used Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread)
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vanilla soy creamer
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Melt the butter substitute in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Once melted, stir in the light brown sugar, soy creamer and sea salt until full combined.
- Bring the mixture to a low boil and allow to cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Allow the sauce to cool to room temperature before serving or using as an ingredient in another recipe.
Store the sauce in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to two weeks. When you're ready to use it, simply remove from the refrigerator, give it a quick stir and serve.