Sometimes one just wants a fancy breakfast. What’s more posh than a breakfast parfait? But wait, we don’t want a sugar-filled, cream-pumped parfait. We want a healthy, light, summer breakfast filled with nutrients and flavor.
Overnight chia seed pudding
Ingredients for one serving:
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1.5-2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2-1 cup bluberries (depending on how blueberry-y you wish the pudding to be)
- 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats
- some chopped banana for garnish
- Mix the chia seeds, cinnamon, vanilla, and almond milk in a bowl. Stir well to make sure chia seeds are covered.
- Stir in the blueberries.
- Let set in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, take the pudding out of the fridge, stir, and add more milk if desired.
- Make a parfait by alternating layers of oats and the pudding. Garnish with banana and enjoy!
Feel super posh eating this breakfast. Not only is it raw, vegan and healthy, but it is packed with protein from chia seeds, good carbohydrates from oats, and antioxidants from blueberries! Chia seeds are wonderful. They are filled with protein and are able to absorb 7 (SEVEN!) times their volume in liquid forming a kind of gel. This gel acts as a stomach filler, so to speak, and keeps you fuller longer. For this recipe, I used whole chia seeds because I like the texture, but if you use ground chia seeds the pudding will be smooth and creamy. So, try making chia pudding with any kind of fruit or other flavorings (chocolate anyone?) and you will not be disappointed.
For more healthy vegan breakfast options, check out the following amazing recipes from One Green Planet: