Berries are a great source of anti-oxidants and I cant have enough of some fresh blueberries when in season. If you can find some wild blueberries, those will give this bread a deeper purple and gorgeous color.
Almonds, are an amazing nut to add to the daily diet. Combining both of these in this yeast bread makes it an amazing loaf with added flavor, and nutrition, to just snack on or use in french toasts, top with PB, or other breakfast options.
The bread is very mildly sweet with mild flavor from the blueberries, no overpowering sweet or sour, just a hint of flavor in each bite. Warm it up to make the flavor come out more. Top with with marmalade, vegan butter, nut butters.
Ingredients: 8.5 by 4.5 inch loaf pan
- 1.5+ cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup ground raw almonds
- 3/4 cup blueberries(I used fresh)
- 1/4+ warm water
- 1.5 teaspoons active yeast
- 2 Tablespoons raw sugar or equivalent sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons organic canola oil or olive oil
- Add the yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar to 2 Tablespoons warm water. Mix and let it sit until frothy. 10 minutes.
- In a stand mixer, add the flours, salt, rest of the sugar and mix well.
- Blend blueberries, and 2-3 Tablespoons water, into a smooth puree.
- To the flours, Add in the blueberry puree , oil and yeast mixture and knead for 6-8 minutes. Scraping sides every 2-3 minutes. Or knead by hand for 5-6 minutes.
- Add more water or bread flour if needed to make a well formed soft dough. The dough might be a little sticky, but should not be wet.
- Place dough in well greased container where it can double. Spray water on top, cover and let sit in a warm place for 1.5 hours or until doubled.
- Take dough out on a working surface.
- Using a little bread flour, knead for a minute, and then flatten it out into an inch thick rectangle.
- Roll it up like a jelly roll. Seal the edges. Place the roll, seam side down in a well greased or parchment lined bread pan.
- Spray water on top. Sprinkle a little flour.
- Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes or until doubled.
- Bake in pre-heated 365 degrees F for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from bread pan and cool on rack completely before slicing.