My all-time favorite breakfast used to be Eggs Benedict. Unfortunately, a vegan Eggs Benedict is almost impossible to come by. This is precisely why I decided to come up with my own recipe! This is sorta like an Eggs Benedict meets Eggs Florentine... sorta. But It's yummy regardless of what you call it. To keep it light and healthy, I replaced the bread with a tomato slice but that's up to you!
Vegan Benny & Flo
- Extra Firm Tofu
- 2 tbl maple syrup
- 1 tbl soy sauce
- few squirts liquid smoke
- 1/4 c water
- 3 tbl Earth Balance
- 2 tbl flour
- unsweetened almond milk
- pinch of: salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, paprika, chili powder
- nutritional yeast
- Start by pan-searing your tofu. I only used about 3/4 of the package. Cut the tofu into thin slices and then place them in an oiled pan over medium-high heat to brown both sides.
- Combine maple syrup, liquid smoke, water, and soy sauce. Spoon this over the seared tofu and let the sauce thicken and thoroughly coat the tofu. Once that’s done, set it aside.
- Then throw some washed and torn kale into the pan. Season with some salt & pepper. Once the kale is steamed and softened, it’s done.
- To make your hollandaise sauce, melt some butter in a sauce pot over low-medium heat. Then whisk in your flour. Gradually whisk in your milk until it thickens up to the desired saucy consistency.
- Add as much nutritional yeast as you want to the sauce (I usually do about 2 tabelspoons). Add a pinch of salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, paprika, and chili powder.
- Now that all the components are done, it’s time to assemble! Take a slice of tomato, then top with the kale, then tofu, then drizzle the sauce over top.
- Now dig in!
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS