French toast, a classic breakfast or brunch food. But we know it’s great any time of day. I love French toast and this does not disappoint. Did you know, according to wikipedia, the earliest reference of French toast dates back to the 4th or 5th century and mentions soaking in milk, no eggs were used. As creative creatures we are, we have adopted different variations…like this Banana French Toast. I find it to be flavorful with great texture bite after bite. It uses healthy ingredients like banana, almond milk, cinnamon and vanilla. Egg free, dairy free…nothing but goodness here!
When making my French toast, I love picking up a loaf of bread that I can slice into whatever thickness I want. I like my slices on the thicker side, leaving a soft pillowy center. I happen to use a sourdough here which gave my French toast an extra tang that I really enjoyed. This would also be great with French bread, whole grain artisan bread, cinnamon swirl bread or any of the usual breads you typically use to make French toast.
- 1 ripe banana
- 3/4 cup almond milk, or milk of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste
- dash of nutmeg, optional
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- coconut oil, for greasing
- French or sourdough loaf cut into any size you like, or use any bread you like (6 slices)
- pure maple syrup for serving
- In flat bottom, shallow medium size bowl mash the banana until creamy and fairly smooth. Add the milk, cinnamon, vanilla and optional nutmeg, mix well.
- Heat your skillet or griddle on medium heat. While griddle is heating prepare your bread and gather your serving plates.
- Using about 1 teaspoon of coconut oil, grease the griddle/skillet (do this each time you make add a new batch). Dip bread into wet mixture and flip to coat the other side. Place slices on griddle/skillet and cook about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden on both sides. Serve with pure maple syrup. Serves three.