This refreshing sandwich is absolutely delicious and fills your protein needs, has lots of fiber and is full of flavor...wonderful flavor, and texture. The avocado adds healthy, monounsaturated fats, which have been shown to slow brain aging. They have also been shown to help protect against certain types of cancer, and are a great source of antioxidant vitamin E. There are TONS of easy ways to incorporate them into your diet. Try avocados in smoothies for a rich, smooth texture, whip it into a pasta sauce, make a creamy salad dressing; use as the base for a raw soup; or even create an these chocolate cupcakes with Avocado-Mint Icing! The beans on the other hand are packed with protein, fiber, and a variety of vitamins and minerals. They are also packed with complex carbohydrates – you know, the “good” of “slow-burning” carbs that help fuel prolonged physical activity. Beans are also extremely versatile. Toss some black beans on a salad, make lentil tacos, whip up some garbanzo bean hummus, make a veggie chili with kidney beans. There are plenty of delicious options!
Avocado and Black Bean Tortas
This Recipe is :
- 1 1/2 cup thinly shredded green cabbage
- 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and chopped
- 2 large radishes, thinly sliced
- red onion, a few thinly sliced pieces
- 1 can (15oz) refried black beans, warmed or at room temp
- 1 or 2 avocados, pitted, peeled and sliced
- sriracha cashew cream sauce from this recipe, as spread
- 3 crusty or soft sandwich rolls, split
- 1 – 2 limes
- hot pepper sauce, as garnish, optional
- Prepare your veggies and beans. Slice your bread and remove some of the soft bread from the inside of the top slice, making a slightly hollow area for the sandwich filling (this is optional depending on what your rolls are like, you be the judge, I removed a small amount from mine).
- Spread a good amount of the refried black beans over the bottom half of each roll. Top with avocado, radishes, red onion and cabbage. Spread your condiment of choice on the top portion. Squeeze some lime over the bottom portion and cover with the top half of the rolls. Serve immediately, or wrap and pack to go (if you can get out of the door without eating them). Makes three sandwiches.
- Options for those who are eating gluten free. Turn this recipe into tacos using corn tortillas or use gluten free bread of choice.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS
AvocadoBeans - AllBeans - BlackBlack Eye / Pigeon Pea