Pancakes could use some serious re-branding.
What comes to mind when you think of pancakes? Instant pancake mix, white flour, HFCS-laden syrup, and an abundance of cheap, 24 hour pancake joints?
It’s true, traditional pancakes have some serious issues.
- Ingredients - most pancakes are made with refined white flour, milk, butter, and eggs, and topped with gobs of syrup. Not exactly the most wholesome ingredients. But it need not be so! There are plenty of whole grain flour options, and vegan pancakes typically use healthier substitutes like soy or nut milk and fruit puree in place of dairy. There are also tons of healthy and delicious ways to top them – no syrup required. Try nut butter, fresh fruit, or coconut cream!
- Highs and Lows – a breakfast comprised of refined flour and sugar inevitably leads to a post-consumption blood sugar spike and crash. A wholesome breakfast that will keep you stable and fueled all morning needs to include 4 things: complex carbohydrates, plant-based protein, healthy fat, and fiber. Try adding whole grain flours, oats, fresh or dried fruit, nuts, seeds, and even protein powder to your mix. And opt for healthier toppings like fruit, nut butter, and nut or coconut-based whipped topping.
- Not Classy – for better or worse, pancakes are often associated with an “all you can eat” or “quantity over quality” mentality. Open late or even 24/7…do we really need to be gorging ourselves on pancakes at 3 AM? It’s time to bring some class back to the pancake! They are delicious for a weekend brunch, pairing perfectly with fresh fruit, tofu scramble, or a green smoothie.
We’ve got a collection of delicious, wholesome, plant-based pancake recipes that are sure to delight any palate…while keeping your blood sugar stable. These recipes are so good you just might find yourself having breakfast for dinner, regularly.
- Peanut Butter and Fresh Apple Pancakes with Peanut Butter Maple Syrup
- Blueberry Pancakes
- Red Velvet Pancakes with Walnut Whipped Cream
- Mushroom Rosemary Dinner Pancakes
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Protein Pancakes
- Fruit-filled Pancakes
- Vegan Pancakes 101
- Yeasted Pumpkin Pancakes
- Sweet Potato Pancakes With Cinnamon Maple Sage Butter
- Swedish Pancakes
Got a delicious pancake recipe? Share it with us!