Looking for a different way to use up your ripe bananas? This is a great way to put them to good use. You can freeze cut them up and freeze them for a couple hours, pull them out, toss them in the food processor and have yourself a terrific and healthy snack, or meal for that matter. Even when it’s a bit cold outside for something frozen, this is sure to warm your heart on any day!
Raw Almond Chunky Monkey Ice Cream [Vegan]
- 3 frozen bananas, cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons almond butter, or any nut butter of choice
- almonds, cut in half
- dark chocolate, either in chips or bars broken into pieces
- In food processor, place frozen banana pieces and almond butter, blend until a fairly smooth consistency stopping every now and then to scrap down the sides and push the mixture to the bottom of the processor. It took mine about five minutes max, it will depend on your food processor how long yours takes. Serve in bowls and top with, or incorporate, the chocolate pieces and almonds, use as much as you like. Should be eaten right away. Makes one generous serving or two small.
- Note: Never throw your bananas away. Did you know that bananas are best for you when they have dark brown spots. They are much sweeter too and perfect for smoothies and ice creams. Just unpeel them and put them in the freezer using a container of sorts (I use Tupperware or gallon size freezer bag), and you’ll have frozen banana’s whenever you need. They will last up to a year in the freezer.