COCONUT MILK is one of the often overlooked alternatives to dairy milk . It is extremely versatile and can be used in almost any dish, whether savory or sweet. In addition to this, there are several benefits of simply drinking it! Coconut milk is great because:
- unlike dairy milk, it is lactose free.
- coconuts are an extremely nutritious food, high in fiber; vitamins B1, B3, B5, B6, C, and E; as well as various minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, selenium, sodium, and zinc.
- it contains a high level of omega 3, 6 and 9 fats along with essential amino acids. Moreover, these fats and proteins are easier for humans to process than other animal fats and even most vegetable fats.
- one of the fatty acids it contains is lauric acid, which converts into monolaurin when ingested. This has antibacterial and antiviral properties, thus helping to fight infections and viruses.
- for those who like(d) dairy milk, the taste is surprisingly similar.
The only downside to coconut milk is the high content of saturated fat, and because of the link between this and coronary heart disease, coconut milk is seen as a food that should be consumed in moderation. Coconut milk is high in fiber, however, which makes us feel fuller for longer, therefore helping to control consumption and weight.
WHAT TO BUY
While fresh coconut milk goes rancid within 24 hours, most coconut milk bought in stores is canned or in cartons. They are all great dairy- and lactose-free alternatives for baking, a perfect base for milkshakes or smoothies, can be added to almost any dish, whether savory or sweet., or be drunk on their own!