How to Make High-Protein, Whole-Wheat Sandwich Bread
Mix in a large bowl and set aside for five minutes until it begins to froth:
- 4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
Mix in another bowl:
- 1 cup warm soymilk
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (use sugar or agave nectar if you’d rather)
- 1 tbsp salt
Add the soymilk mixture to the yeast. Add to it:
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
Mix in a stand mixer on low speed or by hand. Then add:
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten flour
Knead on low speed or by hand, adding a little at a time until the dough is no longer sticky:
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups of whole-wheat flour (add more flour if the dough’s still sticky).
- Continue kneading for another 10 minutes. You should have a really smooth, supple dough.
- Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, turning once so the top of the dough is coated with oil.
- Cover with a kitchen towel and allow it to rise in a warm place for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until doubled in volume.
- Now punch down the dough, and put it back in the bowl to rise for another hour.
- Grease and flour two standard (6-cup) loaf pans. Now punch the dough down again and divide it into half. Shape each half into an oval, tucking the seams underneath.
- Place each oval into a loaf pan, cover loosely with oiled plastic wrap, and set it aside to rise for about 90 minutes until the dough rises above the pan, forming a nice dome.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Bake the loaves for 10 minutes, then turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees and continue baking for another 30 minutes or until the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Cool on a rack for about 10 minutes, then remove the loaves from the pan and continue cooling.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS