This vodka with cream sauce is hearty, filling, and is great for busy nights when you want to use packaged foods such as rice pasta and organic tomato sauce. Combine those with cashews and vodka, and voila, you have a delicious sauce and a cheap meal.
Vodka Cream Sauce [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 24-ounce jar fat-free marinara or pasta sauce
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- In a blender or food processor, purée cashews and water until smooth.
- Stir cashew cream into pasta sauce in pot over medium heat.
- Add vodka and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Serve over whole-grain or gluten-free pasta, spaghetti squash, rice, polenta, steamed spinach, or other “bottom” of choice.
I didn’t use much vodka in my kids’ version, and I made sure to render it (boil it off) fully. Otherwise, the evening would have been a bit, well, livelier.