Confessions of a vegan chef: One night, I was trying to throw together a quick, nutritious dinner for my kids and—gasp!—my vegetable drawer was empty. I did, however, discover a stash of cashew cream in the freezer. Since I always have pasta and marinara sauce on hand, this yummy, super-easy dish was born.
Vodka Cream Sauce [Vegan]
- ¼ cup raw cashews
- ¼ cup water
- 1 (24-ounce) jar fat-free marinara or pasta sauce
- 2 tablespoons vodka
- In a blender or food processor, purée cashews and water until smooth.
- Stir cashew cream into pasta sauce in pot over medium heat.
- Add vodka and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Serve over whole-grain or gluten-free pasta, spaghetti squash, rice, polenta, steamed spinach, or other “bottom” of choice.
I didn’t use much vodka in my kids’ version, and I made sure to render it (boil it off) fully. Otherwise, the evening would have been a bit, well, livelier.