Oats have a lot going for them!
First and foremost, they are hearty, satisfying, and super versatile. There’s nothing quite like a warm bowl of oatmeal, a chewy oatmeal cookie, or a sprinkle of granola over some fruit and dairy-free yogurt! Oats are also a great way to add texture and substance to savory dishes like meatless loafs and veggie burger patties.
This household staple is also rather affordable (especially compared to some of the more exotic grains currently in vogue), and has a long, well-documented list of health benefits, including:
- Oats contain a specific type of fiber known as beta-glucan, which has been shown in numerous studies to significantly lower HDL (or bad) cholesterol levels. This fiber is also protective against heart disease and helps the body fight off infections.
- Oats are also a great source of complex, slow-burning carbohydrates, which help stabilize blood sugar (thanks to those beta-glucans!) and provide sustained energy.
- Oats also contain unique antioxidant compounds called avenanthramides, which have been shown to help prevent free radicals from damaging HDL (or good) cholesterol. Thus, these powerful compounds help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Lignans found in oats and other whole grains also help protect against heart disease.
- Oat consumption has also been shown to help guard against heart failure – the leading cause of hospitalization among U.S. elderly. Researchers found that older adults can reduce their risk of heart failure by nearly 30 percent simply by consuming a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast!
Ready to eat more oats? Here are 10 of our favorite recipes!
- Pumpkin-Coconut-Apple-Oatmeal Breakfast “Crumble”
- Baked Oatmeal With Apricot
- PB Granola Cookies
- Breakfast Parfait With Oats and Blueberry Pudding
- Oatmeal Muffins
- Samoa-like Coconut Oatmeal Cookie
- Healthy Oats Squares with Coconut and Dates
- Maple Oatmeal Cookies
- Coconut Oatmeal Cookies with Coconut Glaze
- Berry Antioxidant Granola
What’s your favorite way to eat oats? Tell us in the comments section below or submit your favorite recipe!