Fresh, home-made nut butter is such a treat. Once you try it you’ll never want to go back to store-bought! With the right tools, you can make a jar of nut butter in just a few minutes. Customize your own mixture of nuts – raw or roasted, salted or unsalted, add spices or flavors…making your own nut butter means you have total control over the ingredients! Get creative or go standard. Either way the final product will be fresh and delicious.
The video below shows the quick and simple process of making almond butter in the Vitamix. You can follow the same steps to make peanut, cashew, walnut, pecan, or sunflower seed butter, or use any combination of nuts and seeds that sounds appealing. Written, step-by-step instructions are also provided below the video.
- Pour 3 to 4 cups of nuts and/or seeds into the Vitamix (a food processor would also work).
- Secure lid and stirring rod.
- Turn power to high and vigorously stir/compress the mixture as it begins to break down.
- Continue stirring and compressing for a minute or two, until the mixture is creamy and no large nut or seed pieces remain.
- Scrape the nut/seed butter out of the Vitamix using a spoon and/or spatula and store in a glass jar. Home-made nut butter should stay fresh in the refrigerator for several weeks.
Note: This method works best with roasted (or a combination of raw and roasted) nuts. If you’re using all raw nuts and find the mixture is too dry, try adding a tablespoon or two of coconut oil to get things moving.