I know what you’re thinking.
Greens…right now? Aren’t greens kind of a summer thing?
Fresh, crisp salads. Icy cool green juices and smoothies. Raw wraps. Sounds great when it’s 90 degrees outside. Not so much when it’s below freezing.
This time of year our minds and appetites turn towards all things warm and comforting. Roasted root vegetables, creamy soups and stews, sweet potato casserole, pumpkin pie, and all sorts of baked goods.
Totally natural, and it’s great to enjoy what’s in season…but we still need some greens in our diet! Fortunately there are plenty of great ways to incorporate spinach, kale, chard, collards, and other leafy greens even when cooler weather hits. Here are a few simple suggestions and recipes:
Blend it up in dips, spreads, sauces, pestos, and hummus.
- Fresh Pumpkin and Kale Hummus
- Seitan Wellington with a Creamy Spinach Sauce
- Vegan Spinach Dip
- Chorizo, Apple, and Chickpeas with Fresh Kale and Cashew Sauce
- Red Lentil Burgers With Kale Pesto
Add it to savory pies, cakes, omelettes and pizzas!
- Black-eyed Pea and Spinach Cakes (with Sun-Dried Tomato Tartar Sauce)
- Kale and Artichoke Pizza
- Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie)
- Chickpea Flour Omelette With Spinach, Onion and Bell Peppers
Mix it into rice, risotto, and pasta dishes.
- Spicy Curry (Cauliflower) Rice with Kale
- Rice Pilaf with Kale, Cashew and Veggies
- Lentil-Kale Vegan Risotto
- Cheezy Spinach & Cilantro Rice
- Gluten-Free Lemon Swiss Chard Pasta
Steam, roast or sauté it!
- Black Bean and Pecan Butter Sauce over Grilled Eggplant and Sauteed Spinach
- Pan Fried Tofu tossed with Ginger Spinach and Mushrooms
- Tofu Scramble with Spinach and Nutritional Yeast
- Jazzy-licious Kale
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Shallots and Crispy Kale Ribbons
- Sesame Roasted Beets and Greens
Incorporate it in warm, satisfying soups and stews.
Make kale chips!
Image Credit: Mammaoca2008/Flickr