The great thing about this recipe is that it can be prepared and baked off ahead of time and then reheated just before serving to make the whole house smell of intoxicating cinnamon and baked apples. This twist on a traditional cobbler is best served warm topped off with some vanilla coconut milk ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon, but leftovers are great cold the next day as well, if they last that long .
Cranberry Apple Cobbler Bars [Vegan]
This Recipe is :
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tsp baking powder (aluminum free)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 stick earth balance, at room temp
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raw cane sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large apple, diced (any kind will work)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup raw cane sugar
- In a large bowl stir together diced apple, cranberries, orange juice, cornstarch (or arrowroot powder), and 1/4 cup of raw cane sugar, until the sugar and cornstarch completely coat the apple and cranberries, set aside.
- In another bowl combine the whole wheat pastry flour, old fashioned oats, 1/2 cup of raw cane sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and sea salt. Stir until mixture is well combined. Add in the softened earth balance butter, coconut oil, and vanilla extract and mix to combine. I suggest using a fork or potato masher to get the butter and oil incorporated well into the dry ingredients. Mixture should be crumbly and form small pebbles similar to a cobbler topping.
- Prepare and 8×8 pan with cooking spray and press half of the crust until firm. Top with the base with the cranberry/apple mixture and sprinkle with the remaining crumble topping pressing down lightly to hold everything together.
- Pop the pan into in a preheated 375 degree oven and bake for 40-50 minutes until top is lightly browned. Let cool a bit before slicing and serving.