Beans don’t really have the best reputation. Not only are they often associated with causing gas, they also are just not regarded as an especially tasty, refined, or interesting food.
It’s time to change all that! Beans are highly nutritious, affordable, readily available, and super versatile. They are high in protein, fiber, and several key vitamins and minerals. Although we most often think of using beans in an entree or salad, beans also make an amazing base for creamy soups, hearty veggie burgers, and low fat baked goods.
Don’t fear the bean! Research shows that beans don’t really cause that much more gas than other whole foods. Check out Beans and Gas: Clearing the Air to learn how beans stack up against other foods, plus some great tips on improving digestion.
And finally, if the collage of beautiful bean dishes above doesn’t help you see how deliciously versatile, highly refined, and downright classy beans can be…perhaps you’ll be persuaded by all the amazing recipes below!
White Bean and Sweet Potato Burgers
Recipe by Dimitra Shanahan: Blogger, Veglite
(makes 8-10 burgers)
- 2 cups cooked (or canned) white beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato (can be roasted, steamed or boiled)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- several dashes of freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of chili powder
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup soy flour
- In a food processor add the onion, garlic, parsley and white beans and pulse until beans are broken.
- Add the sweet potato puree and spices and pulse few more times.
- Transfer to a big mixing bowl, add the breadcrumbs and soy flour and mix with your hands for about 2 minutes.
- Place the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Form the mixture into burger patties, place on a baking sheet, brush with olive oil and bake in preheated oven at 180C/350F for 30 minutes, flipping once. Enjoy!
- Moroccan Grilled Eggplant, Onion, and White Bean Spread
- Kale Salad with Grilled Eggplant, White Beans and Fresh Figs
- Cajun Corn and Kidney Bean Salad
- Herby Bean Soup
- Petite Navy Beans with Rosemary and Diced Tomato
- Black and White Bean Burgers
- White Bean and Sweet Potato Burgers
- Pumpkin Bean Bars
Got a tasty bean recipe you’d like to share? Submit it here!