Winter mornings just call for a warm, cozy breakfast.
Cozy breakfasts are almost required on snow days and lazy Sundays, but many of these recipes can be made ahead or are quick enough that they can also be enjoyed on an average chilly winter weekday morning.
Not only is it fun to indulge in a cozy breakfast from time to time, one of the hearty, higher protein options below will also help you stay full and fueled throughout the morning. If you’re prone to mid-morning blood sugar crashes, opt for the Tofu Scramble, Chocolate Chip Cookie Protein Pancakes, or Benny and Flo.
Fudgy Brownie Waffles
Recipe by Danny Macdonald: Blogger, Boy and the Rabbit
(makes 12 small or 3 Belgian Waffles)
- 1 cup organic all purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup organic cane sugar (or substitute maple sugar)
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 cup almond milk (or substitute any nut milk)
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ounces vegan chocolate, coarsely chopped
Combine dry ingredients in small metal bowl and whisk until combined. In separate bowl, mix wet ingredients on medium speed with electric mixer until combined and smooth. Stir half of wet ingredients into dry, stirring until just combined. Repeat with the rest of the wet mixture.
Preheat waffle iron. Cook waffles for about 5-6 minutes, until tops form light crust and insides are still chewy. Serve immediately for best taste and texture.
- Cinnamon Rolls
- Strawberry Pecan Stuffed French Toast
- Tofu Scramble (with Spinach and Nutritional Yeast)
- Peanut Butter and Fresh Apple Pancakes with Peanut Butter Maple Syrup
- Red Velvet Pancakes with Walnut Whipped Cream
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Protein Pancakes
- Benny & Flo
- Chocolate Caramel Doughnuts
- Banana Peanut Butter Breakfast Muffins
What’s your go-to cozy winter breakfast? Share it in the comments section below, or submit your favorite recipe!