Southwestern and Mexican fare are characterized by tasty favorites like tacos, burritos, rice and beans, tortillas, and quesadillas, with accompaniments like fresh salsa and guacamole. And don’t forget the margaritas!
Although meat and cheese play a significant role in the cuisine of parts of Mexico and the Southwestern United States, there are also plenty of vegan options and easy plant-based substitutions.
When dining out, watch out for lard and chicken stock in rice and beans, and be sure to specify that you don’t want cheese or sour cream. Sometimes they are included in a dish even if not listed in the menu description. Adding guacamole and salsa to a dish, or asking for extra on the side, is a great way to replace the moisture and flavor of these omissions.
When cooking at home, the options are endless! There are more vegan cheese options on the market than ever before, and they are getting pretty convincing. You can also find vegan sour cream and plenty of soy, wheat, and other grain-based meat substitutes to use in tacos, burritos, and fajitas.
So give one of these 10 tasty vegan recipes a try on your next Meatless Monday or Taco Tuesday and let us know what you think!
Spicy Zucchini and Tomato Tacos
Recipe by Sonnet Lauberth: Holistic Health Coach, For the Love of Food Blog
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- red chili pepper flakes to taste
- freshly-ground sea salt and pepper to taste
- 8 medium (or 12 small) whole wheat or corn tortillas
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, de-stremmed and chopped
- 1 avocado, pitted, skinned, and sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- Add the olive oil to a pan over medium heat. Add the zucchini, garlic, paprika, oregano, and chili powder. Saute for 5 minutes, flipping zucchini, until both sides are evenly browned. Add red chili pepper flakes, sea salt, and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Distribute zucchini evenly among the tortillas. Top with fresh tomato slices, cilantro, avocado slices, and red onion slices. Serve immediately.
- Chia Margarita
- Mason Jar Salsa
- Knock-off-amole (Guacamole Made with Fresh Green Peas)
- Watermelon Gazpacho
- Smoky Roasted Corn and Sweet Pepper Soup
- Mexican Lasagna
- Crispy Potato Soft Tacos
- Double Decker Lentil Tacos
- Mexican Frittata
Got a Southwestern or Mexican-inspired recipe you’d like to share? Send it in!