This is based on a famous recipe published in Cook’s Illustrated, called “Blue Ribbon Vegan Cornbread.” It was created by an 11 year-old girl, who won a contest at the Iowa State Fair. I’ve made a few changes to the recipe, namely using a heart-healthy oil, substituting whole-grain flour, reducing the sugar and throwing in some fresh or frozen corn kernels (optional).
Whole-Grain Vegan Cornbread
- 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (all-purpose flour works, too)
- 1 cup cornmeal (see above)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup high-oleic safflower oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels (optional)
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a cast iron skillet with cooking oil spray and place in the oven 5 minutes before you are ready to put the cornbread in.
- Vigorously mix the flax and water in a small bowl or mug, and microwave for 30-40 seconds, until thickened. Alternatively, bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan, add the flax and simmer for a few minutes.
- Mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the flax mixture, soy milk and oil. Add to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Add corn kernels, if using.
- Pour the batter into the heated cast iron pan. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly before cutting.
AUTHOR & RECIPE DETAILS