My version uses a mushroom pate instead of liver and thinly sliced tofu instead of meat. I will tell you, that beyond a shadow of a doubt this is THE BEST sandwich I have ever made and quite possibly the best sandwich I have ever eaten!
Vegan Vietnamese Tofu Banh Mi Sandwich
For the pickled daikon and carrot
- 1 daikon radish, spiral sliced (or cut into thin matchsticks)
- 2 medium carrots, spiral sliced (or cut into thin matchsticks_
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp salt
For the mushroom pate
- 2 portabello mushrooms rough chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp liquid aminos
- Fresh ground black pepper
For the tofu
- Thinly sliced tofu (about three or four slices per sandwich, pressed to remove excess water)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
For the sriracha mayo
- 3 parts vegan mayo
- 1 part sriracha sauce
To build the sandwich
- Crusty sandwich rolls
- Cilantro for garnish
- First make the quick pickled daikon and carrot by mixing all ingredients into a glass jar. Shake well to ensure the sugar dissolves. Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- To make the mushroom pate heat olive and sesame oils over medium heat in a saute pan. Add the mushrooms, onion and liquid aminos. Saute until soft. Put in food processor and season with plenty of fresh ground black pepper. Pulse until almost smooth. Set aside.
- Combine the vegan mayo and sriracha sauce in a bowl and whisk until incorporated.
- In a saute pan over medium high heat add one tablespoon of sesame oil. When hot, place the tofu slices in the pan. Allow them to get golden brown on one side and flip to brown the other side.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the sandwich roll(s) in the oven until the crust starts to get crisp and the roll is heated through.
- To assemble the sandwich slather one side with the sriracha mayo and the other side with a generous portion of the mushroom pate. Layer the tofu slices on top of the mushroom pate, then add the pickled daikon and carrot and garnish with cilantro.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS