Vegan Mocha Spice Cupcakes with Maple Crème Ganache
- 2 cups strong, freshly-brewed coffee
- 2 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup maple sugar
- ½ cup vegan butter or coconut oil (or a blend)
- 2 tbsp. flaxseed meal
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. powdered stevia
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. allspice
- 1/8 tsp. cloves
- 1/3 cup sweetened cacao nibs
- ¾ cup vegan butter, softened
- ¼ cup coconut oil, softened
- 6 tbsp. nut milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. maple extract
- ¼ cup maple syrup (more or less, depending on taste)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line 12 muffin tins w/ paper muffin cups or spray lightly with oil.
- Make the ganache first as it needs a couple of hours to chill.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the coconut spread, coconut oil, nut milk, vanilla & maple extracts and maple syrup. Place in the refrigerator to firm and chill.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, stevia, baking powder, baking soda and spices.
- In another bowl, whisk together the hot coffee w/ the cocoa powder, maple sugar, EB Coconut Spread, flaxseed meal and vanilla extract. Whisk to thoroughly combine and then pour into the dry mixture. Stir well, pressing out any lumps. Stir in the cacao nibs.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the cupcakes are firm and springy on top.
- Allow to cool completely.
- To finish the ganache, pour the mixture into a blender – it should be firming up, but not completely solid – and process until very smooth and creamy. Either pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes or simply spread over the tops.
- Keep cupcakes in the refrigerator as the ganache will soften at room temperature.
EXPLORE MORE VEGAN RECIPES WITH THESE INGREDIENTS