The combination of flavors makes this one of the most deliciously simple meals I’ve had in a long time. It will be a go-to favorite in our house.
Chickpea Tuna Melt
- Chickpea Tuna Salad recipe (*recipe below)
- Crusty bread, sliced (I used a French Baguette)
- Fresh tomatoes, sliced
- Vegan Provolone Cheese Slices
- Prepare the Chickpea Tuna Salad recipe as directed.
- Place your oven rack in the highest position and fire up the broiler. Note: I have a toaster oven and was able to use this quite easily for this recipe.
- Use a serrated knife to make several slices of the baguette. Another beautiful thing about this recipe is you can make these as you need them. If you’re having several people over, go ahead and slice the entire baguette. If it’s just you for lunch today, cut only a couple. Isn’t that perfect? Place the sliced bread on a baking sheet.
- Place a large spoonful of the Chickpea Tuna Salad on top of the sliced bread, using the back of your spoon to spread it across the bread. Place one slice of tomato over the Chickpea Tuna Salad.
- Place one slice of Daiya Provolone Cheese on top. If you have looked and can’t find this cheese, feel free to substitute with another vegan cheese.
- Place the baking sheet in the prepared oven (or toaster oven) and broil until the cheese turns a nice color of golden brown (it should take about 3 – 4 minutes).
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Vegan Tuna Salad
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons sweet white miso paste (Miso Master is my favorite and is sold at our local grocer)
- ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
- ¼ cup green onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup red (or green) bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup sweet pickle, finely chopped (relish works here too)
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh tomato slices (optional)
1. In a medium storage-ready bowl, mash the chickpeas with a fork. You don’t need them all completely mashed, but mostly.
2. In a small mixing bowl, combine the mustard, mayo and miso paste and stir together until well combined. Add the remaining ingredients to the mayo mix and stir well.
3. Combine the mayo mix to the mashed chickpeas and stir until everything is all meshed together nicely. You can place the lid on your container and let the Vegan Tuna Salad ingredients sit together for awhile, or feel free to dive right in.